Some homeowners enjoy DIY renovation projects to customize and beautify their homes. If you want a renovation project that gives you a creative outlet, consider installing porcelain or ceramic tiles in your Toronto home. At Deco-Tile, we have tiles in all shapes, colours and sizes. You don’t have to spend days looking for the right options for your home. Our newly launched website is user-friendly and search-optimized so that visitors can immediately find the information they need.
Our experts can help you find a durable flooring option that impresses guests when you entertain at home. If you have a growing family, we can direct you to options that beautify and withstand the wear and tear of a busy household.
Many DIY homeowners come to Deco-Tile for advice on materials and options that help them stay on budget. If you want to try your hand at home renovation, we can help. Also, if the project becomes overwhelming, we can provide tips and tricks to expedite your project timeline. This can help you regain full use of your kitchen, bathroom, or other renovated areas.
FAQS Porcelain and Ceramic Tiles
We have included 10 of the most common questions from Deco-Tile customers. However, our courteous customer service staff answers any and all questions you may have on your DIY flooring installation.
1. What Are the Differences Between Ceramic & Porcelain Tiles?
Porcelain is stronger than ceramic due to a different glazing process. It’s suitable for flooring, wall, and other installations. Because it’s frost-resistant, you can also use porcelain for exterior flooring projects.
Ceramic tiles are softer than porcelain, which makes them easier to cut than porcelain tiles. However, ” Ceramic tiles are suitable for certain residential flooring and walls, but with today’s technology ceramic tiles have evolved into porcelain tiles which are more durable for flooring applications in both residential and commercial projects”
2. Do marble tiles require a lot of maintenance once installed?
Marble tiles have a distinctive quality when installed on floors and walls. Many homeowners worry that it will take too much time to clean and maintain. Actually, proactive maintenance can save a lot of time and help you keep your marble tiles looking great.
- Sealing marble helps repel dirt, liquid, and foods. However, it’s important to wipe up spills quickly to avoid etching and stains.
- You can use our Stonetech cleaning products and sealers to maintain your marble tiles properly.
3. What is the upcoming trend for subway tile applications?
The subway tile trend has moved from mainstream to specialized functions, as follows:
- Vertically stacked backsplashes, shower walls, and bathroom walls give a new twist to your reimagined space.
- Subway tiles are extremely versatile. You can place them vertically or horizontally and line up each row for a uniform look or stagger the pattern for added visual interest.
- Glass and reflective subway tiles add glamour to your bathroom or kitchen and make the room seem bigger.
- Subway tiles with matte surfaces are also gaining in popularity.
4. What grout and mortar do you recommend?
Mapei is an industry leader that produces consistently great results. Deco-Tile carries an extensive variety of Mapei tile grout and mortar products to help homeowners complete their DIY projects.
Advantages of Mapei products include the following:
- Superior moisture resistance
- Resistant to chemical cleansers
- Easy to clean
- Hygienic (when sealed)
5. What are the most popular tile sizes?
Large tiles are currently trending in Toronto, so go big for your home. The most popular sizes in our Toronto tile store that we currently sell are:
- 24×24 or larger
- 18×36, 24×48, 32×32
As you can see, both square and rectangular tiles are on trend, giving you many options to design tile flooring that will increase the value of your home for years to come. If you’re worried that large tiles won’t look good in a small space, feel free to consult with a Deco-Tile expert.
6. Is a 12×24 tile too big for a small space?
No! In fact, large format tiles make small rooms seem larger. That’s because there are fewer grout joints, which adds a sense of spaciousness.
Here’s what the Deco-Tile sales team has noticed in recent trends:
- 14×24 is the fastest-selling tile for small rooms. It’s easy to install and doesn’t create much waste.
- Toronto homeowners love rectangular tiles. 12×24 is the new 12×12!
- Homeowners use large tiles to make bathrooms and kitchens look bigger.
7. What is the difference between a rectified and pressed tile?
Rectified tiles have straight-cut edges. After being fired in a kiln, rectified tiles go through a cutting machine, which removes the pressed edges to create a uniform look. With rectified edges, DIY homeowners can achieve tight joints that require very little grout. This is the ideal style for seamless flooring.
Pressed tiles have finished edges and usually cost less because they don’t require additional cutting. You can still achieve beautifully finished floor or wall tiling with pressed tiles.
8. Are porcelain and marble tiles both natural stone?
No, porcelain is a manmade material while marble is quarried natural stone. Marble is very durable and cut to display natural veins and patterns for a unique look with every slab.
9. What is the standard thickness of porcelain tile?
Our porcelain tiles in Toronto are between 8mm and 10mm thick.
10. Can I use mosaic tiles on the floor?
Yes! Use mosaic tiles in a variety of materials to design a unique floor in your shower or bathroom. Mosaic tiles create beautiful, personalized patterns and are easy to install.
Choose Easy-Install Ceramic and Porcelain Tiles in Toronto
Our collections are organized by brand, material, and style to help you quickly find the tiles that suit your style and budget. This can save you many hours of wandering around the web looking for a reliable tile store in Toronto.
We know it’s hard to carve out time for DIY projects when you also have to work and meet the needs of your busy family. Rest assured, our tile experts are available to provide advice on choosing the right tile, grout, and tools you need to avoid costly mistakes.
Contact Deco-Tile today for advice on selecting and installing your ceramic and porcelain tiles in Toronto!