Porcelain tiles have unique qualities
Manufacturers of porcelain tiles in Toronto employ a special glazing process to achieve the material’s distinctive properties. Despite its reputation as delicate, porcelain surpasses ceramic in strength and can create stunning effects on walls and floors. It’s also weather-resistant, making it an excellent choice for outdoor living spaces.
Porcelain production involves compressing fine clay at high pressures and baking it at higher temperatures than ceramic. This process imparts porcelain with exceptional qualities, including:
- Durability: Porcelain’s higher density results in long-lasting tiles suitable for high-traffic areas in your home.
- Water Resistance: Porcelain repels water much more effectively than ceramic, meeting ASTM standards with an absorption rate below 0.5%.
- Uniform Composition: The color of porcelain remains consistent throughout the material, making any chipping on the tile’s edge less noticeable.
Advantages of using ceramic tiles
While ceramic tiles have a softer composition compared to porcelain, they are favored by many DIY renovators for being easier to cut and work with. They are recommended for backsplashes and walls, but not necessarily for flooring. If you choose ceramic tiles for your kitchen or bathroom renovation, investing in a high-quality tile cutter can help minimize waste. Similar to porcelain, ceramic tiles come in a variety of patterns, colors, and styles.
Some of the benefits of working with this versatile material include:
- Affordable Price: Many homeowners in Toronto opt for ceramic tiles due to their budget-friendly pricing.
- Ease of Work: Ceramic is easy to cut and work with, making it appealing to busy homeowners tackling their first home projects.
- Versatility: Ceramic tiles are available in intricate patterns that work well in backsplashes and areas where you want to create a visual impact. Glazed ceramic tiles typically offer a wider range of patterns and colors compared to porcelain tiles.
- Texture: While porcelain tiles are typically smooth, textured ceramic tiles add depth to your finished DIY project.
Whichever material you choose to use for your DIY home renovation, the tile experts at Deco-Tile are available to answer all your questions about installing and maintaining ceramic and porcelain tiles. See their huge selection at their tile showrooms in Oakville, Burlington and Toronto!